From Alan Northcutt:
Deepest sincere thanks to our 16+ members who attended in support of our presentation.
I rebutted as much of the City energy plan as I could in 10 minutes and provided a handout covering the entire report. Their report was written with climate denier Bryan Shaw, who has no understanding of the urgency of decarbonization. Many errors were found.
Our basic points:
- City rooftop solar installation should begin immediately. All new city construction should have rooftop solar. The report’s objections to solar are largely spurious.
- New City energy contracts in 2021 must be 100% renewables.
- Waco lags seriously behind in number of solar installations.
- Switch City heating/cooling to electricity from natural gas by 2050.
- Natural gas is not a bridge fuel. Emissions are equal to or greater than coal, health impacts are serious, and fracking induces earthquakes.
- Waco has only two EV charging facilities. The City should install these at the two malls and downtown. Apply for TCEQ grants.
- The City should begin transition to EVs immediately. Long range affordable EVs are available.
- Contrary to the report, long range electric garbage trucks are available.
- Develop incentives for residential/business rooftop solar and EVs, as Austin and San Antonio have done.
- Complete efficiency audits of all city buildings.
- The Shaw report does not mention that we must be carbon net zero by 2050.
- Our formal final decarbonization report will coincide with the City’s Shaw report in September.
Complimentary dinner at Clay Pot followed the meeting.
To subscribe to FOP/Climate email list: email@example.com